Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Noticing {Day 20}

Recent reflection of times I am the most impatient: When we are running late, and when I'm trying to get something done for myself (or someone other than the girls). What I need to do: Start getting ready earlier (ie even earlier than I think I should have to), if we are still running late, quit worrying about it because it is what it is, and/or help them with tasks that I'd normally try to get them to do independently for practice, and if I'm working on a task and they need me get to a stopping point quickly and put my attention on them (whoa sentence). It's not worth the frustration, and they need me because they are kids.

I am constantly teetering on that fine line of, "If I help them too much, will they be helpless and way too dependent?" and "They are just kids and still cannot do everything on their own -- I need to be sure I have reasonable expectations."

I'm learning, and the above has been going really well overall. This morning and evening (I had one of those evenings where, by 4:00, I felt like I was being pecked to death by chickens -- shoutout to your mama, Kara) was a bit of a setback, but we'll be back on the patient horse tomorrow! Yeehaw!!

----------

Kaitlyn told me today that she had a "recipe" to show when we got home from school. "A round cracker, peanut butter, and a chocolate chip. She made them for each of us. Love her.


I had to take both girls to get flu shots. Worst.thing.ever at this age. It's not like I can lie to them until the moment I am restraining them in my lap with the needle inches from their poor little arm. I had to confess on the drive there, where I was taking them. Before I told them, I promised them "any treat in the whole wide world. Pick any treat you can imagine." Kaitlyn picked a donut; Austen, ice cream.

They both expressed their disgust with the situation on the car ride. Austen in tears, Kaitlyn with words. I explained that the reason that I was going to let the doctor give them shots, even though I knew they didn't want them, is that I love them too much to let them get sick. And that, even though they still might get a cold or fever, this shot would help not to get sick worse than that. Kaitlyn calmed down and said, and I quote, "Well, I still don't want a shot, but I see why you want us to get them." Again, love her.

K went first because I thought there was a chance that she wouldn't cry. She didn't until it went in, then her lower lip quivered, the crocodile tears started rolling, and I promised her a pony. Just kidding, but it was on the tip of my tongue.

Austen started crying as soon as Kaitlyn did, and the rest is history with her. I felt so dang bad. They both calmed down pretty quickly, and we were off to the donut shop, then ice cream. I got ice cream because I got my flu shot two days ago and they didn't take me to get a treat. They said that sounded fair.




A few hiccups, but a great day overall. Sometimes, you just can't ask for more than that. Here's to tomorrow.

2 comments:

Maggie said...

Gotta love Aunt Kennie! :)

I get the patience thing. I really do. In the morning, if we have to be somewhere, I am always some impatient and barking at the kids. Why? So, if we're late, we're late. Why am I stressing everyone out? I'm working on it... constantly.

Again, love these posts. :)

Anonymous said...

I love that saying, and I use it often! Travis always wonders why I am up at 4:45 on the weekdays, it is to get ready so we are not late. It is hard to get up that early but worth it when we leave the house on time and without yelling :)