Thursday, May 3, 2012

Quotables

This post is a whole-lotta nonsense, and you've been warned.

I don't keep a record of the funny/cute things the girls say just like I don't keep baby books. This blog hereby becomes the dumping grounds for any and all kid stuff that I know I'll eventually forget. In fact, I'm going to try to make a weekly "Quotables" post. This is as catchy as I get, folks. Anyone reading this may or may not find these cute or funny. Remember that this space serves many purposes, including memory books.

Oh, and I'm also going to post cell phone pictures. Lots of them. Not because I think they are good or interesting, but because I know I'll want to look back at them someday and they are currently collecting dust in the "Lisa's iPhone Pics" folder on the hard drive. And, The Books, of course.

Some quotes, etc.:

Kaitlyn is quite the little love bug, and will come up us and say, "I just love you so much, Mama/Daddy," and give a kiss on the leg, shoulder, or whatever is in kissing range. While everyone was singing Happy Birthday to Austen at her party, Kaitlyn snuck in to give her a kiss before ducking back out to sing.

I was tired after a long day at work (weird), and dozing off on the couch. Kaitlyn got real close and whispered, "Goodnight, sweet Mama, I love you." Love.Bug.

Austen was crying in her crib, and Kaitlyn got to her before I did. Over the monitor I hear, "I'm here, Austen. What's the matter?" in her best little mommy voice.

Austen is saying longer and more clear sentences than Kaitlyn was at this age. I think it's the influence of a big sister who talks all the time. For example, Austen came downstairs and was talking to Jeff as she closed the gate: "I'll be back just a minute, Daddy. I'm gonna shut the gate. You comin'?" Clear as day. Sometimes it takes the Mama and Daddy (or big sister when we can't figure it out) power to figure things out, but the girl can talk.

The girls were painting at the kitchen table while I was cooking dinner (I make it sound like me cooking dinner is a normal, everyday thing...it's not. Add it to the list of things I need to step up) and I hear, "You are so good at painting, Austen. You are doing such a good job. I love you, Austen."


Our very favorite Austen-ism right now is hard to describe, but we'll be able to picture it 20 years from now for sure. She crouches down with her hands on her knees and cocks her head to the side to ask something. And she has the.cutest. little high-pitched voice that I wish I could bottle up and save forever. We were feeding the ducks (shhh...) and she would do this and say, "You want more bread, ducky? Yeah? More bread? Yeah?" And to Kaitlyn, "Ohhhh Kay Kay...you okay? Yeah?"


Kaitlyn's made-up words, meaning anything from tonight, tomorrow, next time, yesterday, or last night: Nextersmorning, yestersmorning, nexterday, nexteryear, and nextertime.
Giraffe = Kajraffe
Another = a-done-one, which sounds like "darn." When she first started saying it we thought she was saying things like, "I can't find my darn sock!" or "I'd like a darn cracker!"


Jeff and Austen have a silly little game they play. Jeff says "Nooo" in a small little voice, and Austen answers with her eyebrows all scrunched up and says "yeeeeeah" in her little voice. It's okay to raise your eyebrows at this one...it doesn't have to make sense. :)

K: "Mama, can I please have a brother?"
Me: "But you already have such a wonderful sister!"
K: "But I'd like a brother, please."
Two of her friends (Kendall and Paige) are having little brothers, so this comes up quite a bit these days.

And, the grand finale, which I've debated making public because it's more than slightly mortifying:

We were sitting at dinner, and Kaitlyn looks up and says, "Where's the duck?" And farts.

I'll leave it at that.

---------

Jeff has made up "The Flying Game." One of the girls tells him what they want to be (a princess, a dragon, a Supercritter) and they have to make the appropriate sound while he throws them face-first onto the bed. They absolutely cannot get enough of it:



And the completely random, all sorts of directions phone pics. You can see how long these have been sitting:




Clearly this mass of pictures is going to need to happen in phases. This post is a mess; sideways pictures and rambling (the latter being nothing new, obviously).

Instead of attempting to make anything make sense, I'm going to bask in getting some of these memories documented and call it a night.

No comments: