Monday, April 30, 2012

Half Marathon: Check! Home Marathon: Check.

Not only did I (finally)run my first half marathon yesterday, but I felt great doing it! I couldn't have asked for a better experience. I always said, "I want to run a half marathon, and I don't want it to be torture." Done!
Leave it to me to get the flu the week before the big race. I was a tiny bit devastated last Tuesday when I started feeling sick. I was at work, and tried to convince myself that I was fine and just needed more sleep. No way were those crack-of-dawn long runs going to waste (or our money...these races are expensive!). But, sure enough, by that evening I was an achy, whiney mess, begging for Jeff to get me Ibuprofen and the electric blanket because I was shivering so hard my teeth hurt.

Anyway, long story short, I was "don't touch me, I can't even move" sick from Tuesday evening to Friday afternoon or so. I did go into work on Thursday morning because my 3rd graders had their first MSP (state) test, and I just couldn't abandon them when I knew some were already nervous. So, I dragged my achy bod to class, gave the test, and was back in bed by noon.

I finally felt almost normal by Saturday, and by Sunday morning - race day - I was flu-free with just a hint of a headache. Nothing a few more Ibuprofen couldn't cure. I think not doing anything for four days straight actually was a blessing because my muscles felt completely fresh, and I ran faster miles than I had planned. I had a goal of 2 hours and 10 minutes, which would mean averaging 10 minute miles. My official race time was 2 hours and 21 seconds. Go me! Yes, I'm tooting my own horn, and yes, I know that this isn't a record breaking time. There will always be longer races and faster times, but I set a goal and beat it so in my little Lisa vs. Lisa world (read: I'm competetive with myself), I felt pretty bad***. ;)


******

Speaking of marathons...

Austen learned how to crawl out of her crib yesterday. She's fast, and she's determined. I think she's trying to PR like Mama.

And Kaitlyn is in a defiant bedtime stage. You never know what you are going to get. Tonight was not a fun one. Like, if I didn't need to go to bed for work tomorrow I'd be having a glass of wine or four.

Weekday evenings at our house often resemble marathons. Luckily, Jeff and I are in it together. I would surely be in the looney bin if not.

But how could you stay mad at these two??



Little stinkers.

Oh, and I signed up for half marathon number 2 in June. Rock and Roll!

No comments: