Monday, April 22, 2013

Hawaii #7 {My Favorite}

So, I've lost track a bit since the last post. I'll try my best:

Friday evening, we went out for dinner at Pita Paradise. It was surprisingly delicious. Thick pitas (think gyros) with good choices. Teriyaki chicken, Mediterranean, grilled veggie...

We walked around Kihei for a bit after dinner. The market place stands were closing up, but we got to look through a few. The girls liked looking at the different knick-knack type stuff.

I think we just headed back after that And went to bed, since it was getting a bit late.

I had my second and final 16 miler that next morning, and it was SO much better than the last one. Probably a combination if less muggy, a little bit cooler, and being more acclimated (my first one was my first run here). I was tired at the end of yesterday's, but not ready to pass out ;)

My last run is tomorrow: 8 or 7...whatever I end up feeling like. I did 8 sometime last week. I'm planning to get up extra early so I can be back to enjoy all of our last day.

Anyway, we spent the morning at the beach after my run, and there were some bigger waves. Jeff and Papa have been getting out to snorkel just off of our beach. They've seen turtles and some colorful fish, and Jeff saw an octopus yesterday. Apparently, a decent sized turtle snuck up on my dad before Jeff was able to get his attention. We'll see if he goes out again after that ;)

I plan to try snorkeling tomorrow -- I used to enjoy it growing up, but have since developed a fear (Jeff ended up having to go solo on our honeymoon after I tried and failed), but I'd like to try to buck up tomorrow. I may borrow one of the girls' floaties (not kidding--it helps me if I have something to float on). That may depend on what my family decides about how embarrassed they'd be.

The girls were out in the ocean with my parents as a big wave came, and I wasn't quite sure if they were going to be able to clear it. I think they all ended up with salt in their faces, but everyone survived... K somehow came up with "Salty Popcorn" for kinda big waves, and "Salty Eggs" for big big waves. Funny kid :)

I think we went up to the condo for some lunch, then my mom and I went out for a bit to shop and get a Mai Tai at the Wailea shopping center. We ended up at Tommy Bahamas for their happy hour.

Jeff and the girls ended up down at the pool, so I went down to join them when I got back. This is where my favorite comes in:

Kaitlyn has made leaps and bounds with her swimming/water bravery since we got here. When I got to the pool last night, she and Daddy were doing a game where they go down under the water together till she touches the bottom, then floats back up (with her Floatie on). Then, as I was watching, he convinced her to try jumping off the edge. She has now gone from wanting two hands to hold when she jumps, to jumping all on her own and bobbing back up.

Then she wanted her Floatie off, and started swimming on her own. She will swim under water to someone and back to the stairs. She has since been figuring out more and more how to move her arms and legs to go where she wants to go. She definitely needs someone right there with her, but is doing a great job.

Austen is also making a lot of progress and maneuvering around with her Floatie and/or ring like a champ. She's also getting more brave at jumping in to someone with her Floatie on. However, she is perfectly content lounging around and spinning in circles in the water.

Last night was one of those heart swelling so much it hurts moments. We are so proud of K (and Aust, obviously, but these were shining moments for her big sis). Pics and video to follow--duh. (And my new favorite pic of all time.)

After practically dragging K out of the pool, we cleaned up (a little) and went for a walk on the boardwalk. We went through one of the fancy hotels and stopped to look at the Koi pond. Beautiful view and sunset on our walk. We passed a Luau and attempted to watch from the back, but were promptly told that we could only watch from the boardwalk. My parents later investigated to find out that it was $100 a person. Yeah, boardwalk is fine.

K was fascinated by the hula dancers and really wanted to stay. Oh, and she's also fascinated by lava and has been asking to watch YouTube videos nonstop. Hey, it's science, right?

After that, we walked to dinner at the Wailea shopping center at Cheeseburger in Paradise. Again, Mama is a sucker for cheesy music. We kinda-sorta stuffed our faces, and Kaitlyn ordered a vanilla smoothie (tried to convince something more tropical, but she was set) and A guava juice. They thought that was pretty special.

We then got ice cream, which was not a great idea...it was good going down, but both Jeff and I regretted it (Grammie and Papa were smart and skipped it). The girls really enjoyed it, as you'll see.

Went home to bed, and I'll stop here for now.



































































No comments: