Monday, April 15, 2013

Hawaii #2

So, Jeff just read the first post, and I glanced his way shortly after to find him looking up mini vans on his iPhone. He's hooked.

On our first full day, we met the Underwoods/Endelmans (minus Rachel and Thomas, who were flying in later) at Makena beach. The girls all had a great time playing in the sand, and after taking a bit of time to warm up to the waves, K and Austen joined Paige in jumping over them. This is now one of their favorite things to do in Hawaii. :)

We spent at least a few hours on the beach and in the ocean (with multiple trips up to the "Feet Shower," as Aust calls and loves it), then said our goodbyes--well, see-you-laters--and headed home for showers and baths. We headed to Maui Tacos for dinner, recommended by the Underwoods, and ended up seeing them there. Yummy fish tacos!

Bedtime was a breeze...as can be imagined with so much beach, sun, and non-stop fun.

Once again, I didn't sleep well at all, but I never do on vacation in a new bed. I believe Austen woke up this night crying, which woke K up. This was around 4:30, and Jeff ended up going for a walk with her since he had been awake anyway. Austen and I feel back asleep for a bit before getting up around 6.

We went down to our beach for a little while before heading back up so Jeff and I could go back to Costco and the grocery store for a few more things. There is a local "guru," as we've named him, who hangs out on the beach and talks to the locals while using his water exercise gear. He also swoops in with his net after people leave to see what goodies they've left behind. He has been there every day. We like him. :)

The whole Underwood/Endelman gang came over for dinner that night: Lasagna, salad, bread, and spirits ;) We walked down on the beach after dinner and the kids had a great time climbing on a big log and jumping off (while our parents got locked on opposite sides of the locked gate).

Another great bedtime, and we finally got smart and turned off the ice maker, so the girls both slept very soundly. I didn't, but go figure.

I got up early the next morning for my first 16 mile Hawaii run. I wish it could be my last! It was brutal. I will never complain about running in 35 degrees again...as numb as my hands get, it is much better and easier than the muggy mess here. Around mile 6.5, I turned onto a highway for a bit, which ended up being the best 3 miles of the run. It was breezy, and the second I cooled off a bit, I picked up speed and actually felt good. I did not feel good for the other 13 miles. I made it without stopping, but if I would have had to run another mile at the end, I surely would have. My plan for next weekend is to stay on that highway longer, and walk the rest of the way home as soon as I hit my 16. It'll be worth it, I think.

I've got 7 to do tomorrow. I'm aiming to get out even earlier and hoping for a little less humidity.

We met "The Clan," as they will be called from here on out, at their beach that day, and had another great time. Austen wore herself out and took a beach nap. We normally don't let either of the girls nap at all, but figured she'd still go to bed okay after such a long, hot day (we were correct). The grown up girls went to the pool bar and enjoyed a grown up drink while the men folk stayed on kid duty (they got their ocean/jump in the waves like children time before that).

After coming home and washing up, we bbq'd chicken skewers with pineapple (well, Jeff did--I tossed up another store salad). It was delicious, and the perfect end to another fun day!











































No comments: