Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Hawaii #3

We are currently making a little drive to visit Lahaina and The Clan, and both girls are sleeping--I'm loving this being able to let them nap thing; mostly because it avoids some of the evening crankies--so I'm taking advantage of some guilt-free iPhone time.

Where did I leave off? I think I forgot in the last one to mention our evening stroll-turned nature walk. We went to find the boardwalk, and ended up coming across a few huge toads (or bullfrogs, or whatever) and a whole bunch of white crabs that apparently come out at night and raid the beaches. It was a little too close to my recurring nightmare about very fast, skitterish spiders for my liking. My mom stepped on one and I'm pretty sure the whole town heard about it (just kidding, Mom, but we had a good laugh). Oh, and the Collins Clan represented Lynnwood nicely somewhere on the walk, and I'll leave it at that.

Another "event" I forgot was my mom and my run the day before my long one. We got a few miles in before getting back to the parking lot, where we proceeded to get lost for an entire mile. We literally walked in circles for a mile (I know-I had my GPS watch) before throwing in the towel - a towel really would have been nice to help with the gallons of sweat running off of us - and going to the beach to start from there.

It turned out that, during our chatting, we absentmindedly glanced at a sign that appeared to be telling us to go straight, when it fact we were supposed to veer left. We now know how to navigate the parking lot.

I went for a very muggy 4 mile run the morning after the 16er. Amazing how I can run so many miles, but given the "right" conditions, 4 miles can seem like slow torture. I took the next day off.

Anyway, we spent a morning at our beach and part of The Clan joined us for a couple of hours. The boys once again frolicked (yes) in the waves. It had been a bit stormy the night before, so the waves were good size (for a calm beach). Everyone came out unscathed.

The Collins Clan headed into Kihei that afternoon. Jeff rented snorkel gear for the week and we made a couple more stops (ABC Store--love it).

We went in the pool when we got back. The girls both had water wing Floatie things and both swam with them on their own after initially being afraid to even let go with one hand. They were pretty pleased with themselves, as were we. There is a ledge around parts of the pool, and Austen was counting to three and jumping from it over and over again. K was kicking back and forth and exclaiming to anyone who made eye contact (or not, actually), "I just swam across the whole pool ALL by myself!!"

That night, we had steak kabobs for dinner with grilled veggies. Yummo.

The girls slept great, and Mama enjoyed a morning of sleeping in (ie No alarm and getting up at 6 when the girls woke up). It was nice to enjoy my coffee first thing instead of waiting until after running. Good balance :)

I hope our future selves will enjoy reading these recounts, because I'm starting to bore myself!























No comments: