Saturday, May 7, 2011

Spontaneity and "Coming Home"

Something I miss from "the old days" (what? I'm 30!!) is the freedom to be spontaneous. Now, with young kids and full time jobs, the spontaneous moments are more few and far between. It has become a rare occasion to get together with friends on a whim because schedules are full, plans are already made, naps or bedtime are impending. This means that those last-minute events are just that much more appreciated.

Last weekend, Jeff and I decided at about 10:00 on Saturday morning that we wanted to go somewhere and just "get out" for a day. An hour later, we were in the car with haphazardly packed bags and two girls who were up for the adventure because they don't know any better. We drove over the mountains river (and through the woods, actually) to Chelan. Nothing says "escape" to me like Chelan. I breathe more freely, smile more easily, and feel an extra skip in my step. Yes, I know I'm being dramatic and cheesy, but I just love that place and every feeling and memory it releases in me. It's like coming home.

By the time we hit the pass, Austen was making it clear that she didn't think it was fair that Kaitlyn could see the DVD player and she couldn't. So, we made a pit stop for Jeff to turn her car seat around. She thought sitting in the driver's seat for 7 minutes was the coolest thing since pureed bananas.

PhotobucketPhotobucket

A girl just cannot go to Chelan without some new shades:

PhotobucketPhotobucket

I love to catch Austen with this look of "I bet my big sis could walk on water..." They aren't hard to catch.

Photobucket

Yes, please:

Photobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucket

This girl...there are no words:

Photobucket; Photobucket

Ditto:

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Let's see...is she her daddy's daughter? Yep:

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

I just want to cry love the fact that Kaitlyn is old enough to make little friends wherever we go. Guess how many times she looked back to be sure Mommy and Daddy were still there?

Photobucket

Love my Toms. And I'll keep talking about it until I get sick of them.
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket

If I ever want a glimpse into the teenage years, I need only look at this picture ("You hang up first. No, YOU hang up first...heeheehee!")
Photobucket

That blur on the right would be Jeff flying onto the bed to the delight of his youngest daughter (I believe Kaitlyn is still talking to her boyfriend)

Photobucket

Sighhh...I love having daughters:

Photobucket

It's not a getaway without a free breakfast:
Photobucket

Seriously, when did this little girl get so grown up?!

Photobucket

Not too mature for some fun with Daddy's socks:

Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Then we came home, pulled out the bouncy house, and had a nice evening to top off a great weekend:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Thank you to Uncle Rob for the bubble machine!
Photobucket
Austen loves to be held...she lets you know by putting her arms up and saying "dup, dup!" How could you not?!
Photobucket
Who says you can't be spontaneous with toddlers? There might be more pit stops, bags, and parks, but it's not lost!

No comments: