Monday, June 18, 2012

Graduates and Winding Down {Up}

Five more wake-ups until I'm just a mommy for the next two months. I have to laugh when people mention that the school year is winding down...I assure you that it's doing nothing but winding up until the kids count down to that last bell and go sprinting out the door to freedom (with their teacher at their heels).

I know what people really mean, of course. Yes, we are in the home stretch, and that paper chain is actually getting to a respectable length. The kids are a bit more wound up than usual (although, I have to say that they are amazingly focused on our end-of-the-year project and you might not know it's June to walk in and see them working...I'm not taking this for granted) and I'm doing everything I can to manage my stress about getting everything done by the bell, but I love, love this time of year.

I was going to write a whole post about my year off next year, but I'm over it ;). The down and dirty facts are that I'm taking a year of child care leave next year, I'll be trying to sub twice a week as much as possible so that we can survive, and it was not an easy decision. I feel that I was meant to be a teacher; I don't wake up in the morning and dread going to work, and I'm thankful for that (if I'm being honest, though, I do get burnt out from waking up before dawn five days a week). So, this leave has nothing to do with getting away from my job and everything to do with being with my kids more.

I can't do it -- I can't just write a few sentences. ;) One last thing: I do not think that day care is a negative thing. The bottom line is that kids will be just fine whether they are at home with attentive and loving parents or at a quality day care, going home to said attentive and loving parents. I have heard the debate too many times of which is better, and I tend to think that we all just need to stick together a bit more. ;)

I actually cried when I told Little Tykes that the girls were leaving. Who cries when taking their kids OUT of day care?! They have made so many wonderful relationships there with adults and kids, and I do feel guilty for taking that away. Some combo of our parents will watch the girls while I'm subbing -- spoiled alert!

------------

Little Tykes has helped raise our girls since they were babies. Kaitlyn was 10 months old when she started there, and I believe that we brought Austen at 8 months. Grandma Linda and Papa love all of those kids like they are their own. We trust them (well, duh) and think the world of them for allowing us to work full time with light hearts knowing that our girls are not only cared for, but loved.



Ms. Tina has been their preschool teacher this year, and her kind, gentle personality has been so perfect for Kaitlyn (let's be honest, Austen could handle just about anything). As a mama, there are few things more calming than a caregiver who "gets" your kid. Kaitlyn is my more reserved little girl, and I find myself wanting to explain to everyone how wonderful she is because she's not going to go right up and let you know (ahem...Austen Jean). I believe that being at "school" has helped Kaitlyn to blossom in ways that she wouldn't have at home with me, and I'm grateful for that. I believe in my heart that both girls are better for this experience.

We went to preschool graduation a few weeks ago. Our girls were actually in the "moving up" ceremony, but still got to rock a cap and gown and receive a diploma. The day was impressive, and all of the little touches for the kids and parents were really special.

Here it is in pictures:
(In my top three favorite pictures to date)
"It's hard to be a cowboy..."
Austen kept finding us in the audience and giving us this smile :)
Been rubbin' her lip when she gets tired since she was a baby...
I could hear her from where I was standing: "That's my daddy, not your daddy." Austen is the quintessential two year old 
Watching big sister walk across the stage
Not a good picture of either of them, but the only one I got. Kaitlyn and her school bestie, Makya. Makya is the sweetest little girl.
My beautiful mom has been staying with my grandma in the hospital for over a month, 24/7. This is one of the rare occasions when I have been able to see her. Another story for another day.
Kaitlyn was so, so tired, and not a fan of being on the stage at this point. Austen? She don't care!
"C'mon Sis, it's okay"
 

What would a preschool graduation be without pony rides?



Little helpers:

It takes a village!

3 comments:

Maggie said...

I had such a hard time when I decided to stay home with Angus. I was almost embarrassed to admit being a SAHM because of all the judgement out there. But, that's the thing: there's a lot of judgement no matter what. If you're a working mom- you're judged for not staying home with your kids. If you're a SAHM- you're judged for 'settling' and having it 'easy.' Both are wrong. I agree- moms should work harder to empathize and support, rather than passing judgement in those who do it different than you. Love this post- thank you!

Maggie said...

*on

Lisa said...

You got that right...can't win either way! Motherhood is hard enough without the judgment. You're right--we need support more than anything else!