Monday, June 25, 2012

Ending an Era and Looking Forward

I packed up eight years worth of teaching today. I said farewell to two very close friends who have become like family to me. This happened pretty naturally considering that I see them more than my actual family from September to June. We hugged and shed a few tears and promised we would get together this summer. We commented over and over again about how this is the end of an era. It is. There's actually five of us all together, and I believe that we've had one of the best experiences as a teaching team that one can have. And now one is moving grade levels, one is moving rooms, and one is leaving the building.

We've laughed, cried, and been serious when necessary. ;) We've seen each other through joys and rough patches in personal and professional lives. Not seeing these people every day will leave a noticeable gap in my life. As excited (thrilled, overjoyed, ecstatic) as I am about being home with my girls, leaving my classroom today stung. It was a sign of major change; change that I'll get used to, but not before I grieve a bit for what was. I'll be back, of that I'm sure (or our bank account is sure...), but it won't be the same.

Watching my 3rd graders cheer their way out of the classroom door wasn't easy, either. However, unlike previous years, I will be able to teach them again as I (hopefully) sub in their 4th grade classes next year. What a different experience that will be!



All of this being said...SCHOOL'S OUT FOR SUMMER!!!! Yippeeeeeeeeee!!! It may be bittersweet, but let's be honest -- there's nothing better than having summers off. I think I'll be just fine. ;)

------------

In other news, I ran my second half marathon on Saturday: the Seattle Rock and Roll. It was a great course, in my opinion, with a band at every mile and lots of action in between, and I beat my last time! I ran April's Hero's Half in two hours and 21 seconds, and finished this last one in one hour and 59 minutes (they finally posted my offical time). Okay, so it was by less than two minutes, but I'll take it. My next one is in Chelan on July 21st.

**I don't like disclaimers and I try to avoid them as much as possible. However, I feel inclined to give a reminder that these posts turn into memory books, and my run times are something I'll want to look back at. Carry on...

That disclaimer being made, I'm proud of myself for these accomplishments. I've worked hard and I feel great. I've always loved running, but have found an even deeper love for it more recently. It makes me feel strong and surprises me with how much I improve with committment. Commit to something and stick with it for a while to see positive change; it's an incredible feeling.


-----------

Lastly, did I mention that IT'S SUMMER BREAK?? Some of what I'm looking forward to in pictures:

More outside time (you know, like every eight days, Seattle):


More snuggles:



More (easy) baking/cooking:



Soccer:





And just plain more time with these two:

Happy about summer and time with my girls, sad about ending eras, but overall very content.

4 comments:

Diane Baron said...

This is great Lisa! So glad we'll be able to keep in touch :) Of course, you ran the Rock n Roll this past weekend! You are amazing :) (so sad Luke won't have you next year. sniff, sniff)

Julie Freguia said...

Lisa, you will be missed more than you know, but I am so thrilled for you and your girls. This is such a special time in their lives, and it goes by much too fast. I know I've said this a hundred times, but enjoy every second. Happy Summer!!

Lisa said...

Thanks, Diane! I'm bummed, too...who knows; maybe I'll be in 4th or 5th when I go back ;) (Actually, with all the moving around, I'd say it's definitely possible!)

Lisa said...

Thank you, Julie :) It really does mean a lot to hear that. Luckily, since deciding on this, it has only felt more right as time goes on :) Happy summer to you, too!!