Monday, June 11, 2012

Best Playdough and Some News

I found this playdough recipe on Pinterest almost a year ago, and haven't looked back since. I've tried about five different recipes over the years, and this is my favorite. It lasts forever, is soft but not sticky, and best of all it's not store-bought. We have used plenty of the stuff from the store, and all I have against it is that it doesn't last nearly as long, is expensive and too stiff, and those stubborn little containers give me blisters. That's "all."

I'm by no means a stickler, but there are a few things I definitely prefer home-made. This is one of them and happens to work out well since it's so simple that even I can do it. ;)

Ingredients:
1 cup flour
1 cup water
1/4 cup salt
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 Tbls. vegetable oil
food coloring (I use 5-8 drops to color)

Simply mix all of the ingredients in a large bowl and dump into a saucepan.




Turn on medium heat and stir continuously until it balls up:



Dump it onto a surface and let cool. Knead until soft.


Now for the fun part! Set out some fun food colors:



{See what I did there? Got all fancy with the editing -- life's simple pleasures}

Have your kids poke holes in the chunks and squirt desired color into said holes:









Yes, I let a 3 year old and her 2 year old sister use food coloring, and yes, they got overzealous and there was an inevitable mess by the end. The next owners of our house will enjoy (enjoy?) a tie-dyed cutting board.

Close up the hole and have them play with the dough and watch the color come through. They love to "make the color."



And play, of course:



------------

And some news...

Jeff and I recently decided that I will be staying home with the girls next school year. Ahhh!! You can bet I have some thoughts to share, but I need to tear myself away to get going on a little project for this weekend. Stay tuned...

8 comments:

Julie said...

I just printed that "recipe" yesterday but we didn't try it - it was just too nice out!

That's my middle name said...

What exciting news for your family! You are going to love it.

Lisa said...

Julie - I suppose we can consider that a perk of our "great" Seattle weather...you won't need to wait long for the next rainy day. ;)

Lisa said...

Ellen - Thank you! Budget will be tight, but it will be worth it :)

Unknown said...

I just pinned some today that is made out of pudding...my kidgets are almost too old for play dough, but I am going to try to make them play with it for one more summer!

Lisa said...

Oh I'll have to try that! There's also one with Koolaid that is tempting, too.
I may keep making it when my kids lose interest just so I can play with it ;)

Maggie said...

Staying home? Congrats! I bet your kids are so excited to have Mama all day! I will have to try this play dough. My complaints about the store-bought stuff is the same as yours. Boo!

Lisa said...

Thank you! I'm very excited, and maybe a little nervous, too ;)
Try it! I made some for school in September and it's still good! (Replace it every few months at home though.)