Wednesday, September 4, 2013

My Front Porch Lookin' In

 I recently deleted Facebook and Instagram from my phone for a few different reasons - number one being that I was checking them far too often and actually annoying myself - and it has turned out to be a great decision for me, personally. I apparently do not posses the self control necessary to refrain from checking in with social media every 10 minutes (briefly, but still...). I "allow" myself to check Facebook from our computer, which by default means that I'm not on often at all since I don't sit in front of this thing much. Perfect.

Enjoying and appreciating what we have is such a roller coaster ride, at least for me. As with many things, I go through phases. I needed a boost, and this "break" was it.

Enjoying and appreciating what is right in front of me:






As Jeff and I were watching these girls through the window and half laughing/half cringing at Buffy's new "BakbakbakbakbakbakbakbaGOK!" he asked me, "So, do you love having chickens roaming around the yard like you thought you would?"

"Yes, yes I do. Very much. Excessive pooping and all." Really, it's just what I'd hoped for.

We have plans in the works (ie In our heads) to build a larger run so that I don't feel guilty leaving them in there all day. At this point, they free range around the yard for about half of the day. I personally don't mind the poop, but I do understand that outdoor play dates aren't as appealing to those who are grossed out by chicken poo. Me? Just check your feet before you go in and I'll be happy to hose them off if needed.

I got some update pictures of the girls. They are reaching the window of normal laying age, but are at the front end of it. I'm guessing we still have at least a month.

Penny at 15 weeks:



Our Black Australorp, Maisy 2 (remember, Maisy 1 got a new home after proving he was a boy), is looking more like a pullet (girl) now, so we are pretty confident that we'll end up with eggs instead of a 4a.m. wake-up call. Time will tell. Maisy at 15 weeks:



Wendy at 17 weeks. She is the one who got sick when she was a little chick. My mom spent three days while we were in Eastern Wa, nursing her back to health (dipping her beak in water so she'd drink when she couldn't move her legs -- is Crazy Chicken Lady hereditary?? Love you, Mom). We are still in disbelief that she is at this point now:


 Buffy. She's our flock leader (I'm clearly embracing my chicken nerd status):



Oh well...


Austen's sunflower. She picked out these seeds when we were (loosely and spontaneously) planning our garden -- it finally bloomed!

This all reminds me of an oldie but goody by Lonestar: My Front Porch Lookin' In. This song always made me look forward to having kids (and living in the country, but one thing at a time).

My blessings are in front of me
It's not about the land
I'll never beat the view
From my front porch looking in.






Loving what is right in front of me.

1 comment:

PerryBlog said...

Have you seen this video about having chickens? It's pretty funny, and since you're posting pictures, you'd better beward! :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll187f27Pxg&feature=youtu.be