Thursday, July 18, 2013

Summer Happenings Continued

I mentioned in the previous post quick trips to Yakima for a Central girls' weekend, Whidbey to the Underwood cabin, and Chatter Creek Campground for the Goweypalooza camping trip.

Yakima: The girls and I stayed for two nights, and some others stayed for one or just came up for the day on Sunday. It was so fun, and amazingly not as hectic as it should have been having 18 kids in Mindy's backyard. The bigger kids were in the pool pretty much all day, save for grabbing a quick bite and jumping back in. There were very few "incidences," considering, and they were absolutely worn out by the end of the day on Sunday. The babies hung out with mamas in the pool and on the grass. It was a memorable day with a wonderful group of girlfriends. We are lucky!

Whidbey: The girls and I headed up mid-morning the day after the 4th, and, wait for it...that was my first time driving onto the ferry by myself. Nailed it! We somehow convinced Jeff to walk onto the ferry after work and join us for a few hours. The guys had gone crabbing, and we enjoyed a lovely dinner on the deck with a gorgeous sunset and great company. We loaded up two tuckered girls for the ride home after dinner and s'mores.

Chatter Creek: This was a camping trip we used to make every few summers or so (?) growing up with our Gowey family. I have fond memories of the huge group campsite, day hikes, campfires, creek boat competitions, "rock climbing," etc. This year, with Kaitlyn not being a fan of fires (she's doing better!) and so many recent road trips, we decided to just drive up for the day. It was great to see my extended family, whom I only get to see 2-3 times a year, if that as we've all grown up and gotten even bigger. 

--------

Our sleeping situation at Mindy's. Remember the grandparents' bed on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? 
 

Grocery store trip with Paige and Parker:


Paige and K taking care of Baby Kennedy:

Most of the kids:





Campbell and Austen are like two peas in a pod. They stuck together for hours, living out their imaginative stories and hanging out in the "hot tub" (kiddie pool in the sun).


Brad and Mindy's view (drool):


Jeff and my 7th wedding anniversary was July 1st. It also happened to be the first day of crabbing. Jeff wanted to get the boat out to put out some pots, and I obliged since I'd never actually been out on our boat before. It looks really nice in these pictures. Sunny, warm, calm. These don't do it justice. 

About 20 minutes in, the winds picked up considerably, and I was suddenly living in one of my nightmares. Jeff had to reassure me every 5 seconds that the boat was not going to sink and that we weren't going to drown under the huge waves (gives me heart palpitations just thinking about it...). It took forever to get the pots back in (we got a huge starfish and a tiny female crab!). We went to Thai food -- get me wine after that you-know-what show -- and called it a night. 

It may not have been the most smooth (har har) anniversary, but we did confirm one thing: We still laugh together after seven years. Not much of an itch, if you ask me.








No comments: