Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Art and Chickens

Kaitlyn continues to amaze us with her art skills for her age. I obviously can't keep everything (especially when it's on the Magnadoodle,) so I've taken to photographing her creations for memories. Mama helps with all spelling.

And since this is a place for documenting...


From preschool:


Drawing Mama at her running race with her running hat on (marathon post coming soon!):


Our family:


Kaitlyn, Austen, and Brinnley in the rain (with rain hats on, of course):


The Hembrees (Makya's family). Baby Lauren is on her blanket with toys and a bottle (Mama's handwriting, obvi):


Zoo map, so we wouldn't get lost:



She wanted me to help her with a Fairy Journal (from Tinkerbell and the Great Fairy Rescue):


 Annnnd, Austen has finally become interested in drawing! I love, love, love it. This is Grandpa Roger:



-------------

And the chickens...oh, the chickens. I got a bit of flack on our most recent college girls' trip this past weekend for being The Chicken Lady. That's okay -- I'll own it. I love our chickens and could watch them all day. I'm sure our neighbors think I'm a bit "off" when they see me posted up in a chair, staring at our four girls (and possibly talking to them from time to time, or maybe letting them sit on my lap).

It did amaze me how quickly I became just a little bit obsessed with chickens. Forget baby websites - backyardchickens.com is where you'll find me.

We found a home for Maisy, our rooster. He was starting to try out crowing, and although our neighbors have been very supportive of us getting chickens I could see that waning quickly with 5a.m. wake up calls. So, off to White Center he went. Whether for a pet or a pot, he'll have a good life until whatever his destiny is comes calling.


When it became clear that we had at least one rooster (about three weeks in - he was an early bloomer!), we decided to get two more chicks, just in case. Chickens need each other for company, so we wanted to be sure that we ended up with at least two girls in the end.

We picked up a chicken coop in _______, and got two more chicks on our way home: Penny and Maisy 2. Penny is a Rode Island Red, and Maisy 2 (Austen got to name this new one since she had picked Big Maisy) is a Black Australorp (or Jersey Giant, based on some of my nerdy chicken research). They had no issues being introduced to their older friends and have been great ever since.


This this is HEAVY, and had to be lifted over our fence:




Wendy, our Light Brahma, started acting funny a few days before our Chelan adventure. We eventually woke up to her not being able to put any weight on her legs and toes curled in.

Long story short, Chicken Lady's research found that vitamin deficiency can cause these symptoms. Off Wendy went to my parents' (we were headed out of town and knew she wouldn't survive by herself, not being able to get herself to food and water), where Grammie nursed her back to health in her solitary confinement. Within two or three days, she was able to stand a bit, then went uphill from there. She appears to be just fine now! We couldn't believe it after thinking she was a goner. Thank you, Mom!



We put them out in the coop with their heat lamp at about 3 weeks and 5 weeks. They are now almost all feathered and ready for no lamp with our warmer weather.








Yes, she's on my shoulder. Although I didn't let it last very long. I love 'em, but not enough to let them poop on my shoulder. Even The Chicken Lady has limits, people.


They all feel asleep. C'mon....that's cute, right? No?



We've had some warm weather here, and that hen house gets sweltering hot come afternoon. I came home to them panting (chicken pant! Crazy!) and swiftly shooed them out and under the house. They improved quickly in the cool shade.


We have a strong suspicion that Maisy 2 is also a rooster. Poor Austen! Note to self: Maisy is a boy's name.

No comments: