Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Christmas Magic, Round Two

This was Kaitlyn's fifth Christmas, but it's really only the second one where she was really into it. The second one where we were in charge of creating and maintaining the magic. Last year was amazing (yes, I know that this word is "out" for 2013, but my internal thesaurus seems to be missing this evening); this year was even better!

Both of the girls enjoyed the Christmas season, activities, and anticipation, but Kaitlyn was truly our little Christmas Girl this year. For some reason, her asking for over a month when Santa would be here was much more enjoyable than irritating. ;) I think, even after four years, that it still hasn't sunk in that I am a mama. I have my own kids, and I am creating and managing their childhoods.

Although Kaitlyn was more into the crafts, Santa, and Mr. Elf, Austen didn't disappoint with her Christmas caroling starting in November. In fact, she was caught by several smiling customers today (January) at Michaels singing Holly Jolly Christmas...her favorite. Santa Claus is Coming to Town is a close second.

Here's a video (whether it will work is currently questionable -- fingers crossed):


We have a fake tree. There...I put it in writing. Add this to the list of  "I'll nevers" that turned into "Well, okays" when we had kids. We had one year where our live tree started dying days after we got it, and I was fed up enough with the constant needles (and Riley drinking the water...wait, maybe that's why it died? Ding ding!) to run and and buy a fake. I have nothing against other people having fake trees (why would I care?), but this year I really noticed the absence of a tree outing and especially the tree smell. I missed it. And let's be honest, even the best fake trees (which ours is not), look fake. How many times can one use the word fake in one paragraph?

Anyway...Jeff, I know you are reading this, and we'll talk later. Love you!

Well, that was an unplanned tangent. Here are a zillion, really similar pictures (oh, and even though it's fake...the girls are in love with decorating it -- saved by childhood innocence):













----------
Next up: The second part of this post because I'm spent.

No comments: